— New Orleans Saints (@Saints) December 11, 2020
The New Orleans Saints announced that they will be wearing white away jerseys with matching white trousers in Sunday’s game with the Philadelphia Eagles, continuing their streak of games played without the gold pants that were a staple for much of the Sean Payton era.
For his part, Payton is forwarding questions on that to the team captains who make uniform decisions. We haven’t seen the gold pants since Week 2 in 2019, when Drew Brees went down with a thumb injury against the Los Angeles Rams. Maybe the team’s leadership feel it’s bad luck.
Anyway: this week’s combination has the best win-loss record of any set used since Payton took the job back in 2006. That should superstitious fans (and maybe players) happy. The full rankings:
- White jerseys, white pants: 6-1 (.857)
- “Color Rush” alternates: 7-3 (.700)
- “Black and Gold” throwbacks: 2-1 (.667)
- Black jerseys, gold pants: 23-13 (.639)
- White jerseys, black pants: 41-25 (.621)
- Black jerseys, black pants: 45-28 (.616)
- White jerseys, gold pants: 31-24 (.564)