Could Larry Fitzgerald end up with the Bucs?
A weekly look at the top stories being discussed on the other three NFC South blogs on SB Nation.
- Keeping the band together. The Bucs just re-signed running back Leonard Fournette, another one-year deal. In other words, all 22 starters from Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl-winning team from last season are back in the fold. Feel like throwing up? Me too.
- Yup, Suh as well. Once you’ve had the taste of a Super Bowl ring, you want to taste it again. Another veteran player willing to take a reduced salary to stay with Tampa Bay is defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. The man named “House of Spears” (that is the meaning of the word “Ndamukong” in Suh’s father native country of Cameroon) reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with the Bucs worth 9 million dollars guaranteed. Suh will be entering his 12th NFL season out of Nebraska.
- Could Larry Fitzgerald get reunited with Bruce Arians? There is uncertainty regarding the future of the veteran wide receiver in Arizona. As are all free agents under the sun, Fitz is now connected to a possible move to Tampa Bay, where he would rejoin his former head coach.
- 49ers pull off big trade, now have the third overall draft pick. Kyle Shanahan jumped over the team he previously was an offensive coordinator with, and his 49ers now own the third overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft. Is Shanahan eyeing a top quarterback? you bet he is, which should make Atlanta nervous, if they intended to select a quarterback as well with the fourth overall pick.
- Another LSU linebacker in Atlanta. Barkevious Mingo will join Deion Jones as former LSU Tigers to play for the Dirty Birds. Note that Atlanta had also drafted linebacker Duke Riley out of LSU, whom they eventually parted ways with.
- Kyle Pitts as the Falcons top pick instead of a QB? That is a possibility! Atlanta fans probably remember the days of Tony Gonzalez as a Dirty Bird fondly, the tight end was a matchup nightmare on the field. So is Kyle Pitts, the prospect out of Florida, who some analysts have coming off the board very early in the upcoming draft. Should Atlanta keep Matt Ryan, a weapon like Pitts added to the stable of Julio Jones, Russel Gage and Calvin Ridley would be downright scary.
- Dan Arnold is now a Panther. The former New Orleans Saints tight end just had his best season with the Arizona Cardinals. HE also spent some time with Panthers’ offensive coordinator Joe Brady with the Saints back in 2018.
- Panthers trade-up to get a quarterback in Mel Kiper Jr’s latest mock draft. You know what they say about the NFL: It’s a quarterback league. The Carolina Panthers tried the Teddy Bridgewater route and were not very successful. It seems that the Teddy-two-gloves ship has sailed in Charlotte and it’s time for a high draft pick at the most important position on the field.
- The 49ers-Dolphins blockbuster trade has big implications for Carolina too. When the Miami Dolphins traded out of the third overall pick for a king’s ransom from the San Francisco 49ers, it meant that the 49ers were intent on using that pick, likely to select who they see as their quarterback of the future. That also means that the Carolina Panthers have one less trade-up option from their 8th overall pick position.
Make sure you follow Canal Street Chronicles on Twitter at @SaintsCSC, on Instagram @SaintsCSC, “Like” us on Facebook at Canal Street Chronicles, and make sure you’re subscribed to our new YouTube channel.